Behavioral Health Counselor
Specific Responsibilities of the Job:
- Facilitates integration of behavioral health care with outpatient HIV medical care and services, Community and Client Services programs, substance misuse treatment providers and with the psychiatric providers.
- Completes psychological assessments, diagnosis, and treatment for co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders.
- Develops and manages a treatment plan based on bio-psychosocial assessments.
- Provides evidence based therapeutic treatment and care and crisis intervention for patients diagnosed with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
- Works with psychiatric, substance misuse treatment providers and medical providers to promote client’ adherence to the treatment regimen, and keeps them informed of potential barriers and concerns.
- Conducts evidence based therapeutic individual psychotherapy sessions as required.
- Conducts group therapy sessions focusing on high-risk behavior, recovery, and mental health/ substance abuse disorders.
- Provides risk/harm reduction counseling and psycho-education to clients in accordance with agency/program protocols.
- Conducts community outreach to engage the population of focus as required.
- Conducts brief screening for substance misuse, mental health, and co-occurring disorders for individuals testing positive in the community for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and/or Viral Hepatitis (VH) and existing clients receiving medical care at PHNTX .
- Links clients who test HIV and/or VH positive to requisite care as per program protocols.
- Links clients who test HIV negative and VH positive to requisite care as per program protocols.
- Accesses supervision appropriately and regularly apprises behavioral health director about client concerns, problem areas and grievances and other challenges.
- Follows all protocols, completes accurate and timely documentation of all client encounters as required and submits all necessary reports to behavioral health director on time.
- Performs other duties as assigned by behavioral health director, program manager, and/or chief program officer
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a positive and empathetic manner with individuals who have HIV.
- Working knowledge of the medical, psychiatric medications and psychosocial complexities of HIV/AIDS and co-occurring mental health and substance abuse disorders.
- Working knowledge of hepatitis, STIs, and HIV.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations including the LGBTQ community.
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written formats.
- Ability to conduct therapeutic group sessions.
- Ability to conduct therapeutic individual psychotherapy sessions.
- Ability to diagnose mental health and substance misuse disorders based on clinical assessment.
- Ability to provide evidence based therapeutic treatment.
- Skills and experience in client counseling related to recovery, high-risk behaviors, mental health and substance use disorders.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with clients.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with medical and other service providers.
- Ability to network with community partners.
- Demonstrated computer skills and proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Word software applications including Excel.
- Must have valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Master’s degree in social work or related field and current state licensure –Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Professional Counselor- Intern (LPC-I) required.
- Minimum of one year experience in substance misuse treatment and bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.